Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Memorial Day and a Rosette tutorial

I hope you all had a great Memorial Day.  It was a little on the chilly side here in Western Pa but we still had a great time with our family.  We started the day with a parade in our local town followed by a family picnic.  But of course the real reason to celebrate is to remember those who have served our country.

watching the parade with my two cuties


I have many friends who are in either in the military or who's spouse is in the military.  One of these friend's happens to be expecting baby number three this July!  I knew I wanted to make something for her new baby girl but wasn't quite sure what to make.  As Memorial Day approached I decided that a patriotic gift would be perfect for her and her marine husband!

I settled on a headband and diaper cover set since it will be too hot for hats or legwarmers mid-July. 

Diaper Cover (with red and blue ruffles on the bum) and matching headband
 
I thought this would be a good time to explore new headbands and flowers.  After searching Ravalry for a bit I came across this tutorial for an adorable headband and rosettes.  I gave my headband a button closure 2 roses. 

 
The roses are simple and fun to make!  The best thing about these adorable roses is that you can use any type of yarn or hook and make them bigger or smaller depending on the number of chains you choose to begin with.  I started with a chain of 24 for the red rose and 12 for the blue rose.
 
So here is the pattern, taken from My Merry Messy Life
 
I used worsted weight yarn and size "J" hook to make mine
 
Chain 24 (more or less to achieve larger or smaller flower)
 
2 DC in 4th chain from hook, 2DC in each ch until you reach the end.  As you work you will notice that the yarn naturally forms a spiral (see photo below)
 

FO leaving a long tail for sewing.  Spiral the yarn until it looks like a little rose.  Thread a yarn needle on the tail and sew across the entire rosette in a few directions to hold the spiral in place.

 
Once your rose is securely sewn to itself tie off your yarn near the base and weave in any loose ends. 
 
 
 
If you would like to place an order for a Rosette Headband or 4th of July set please email me at gould.threads@yahoo.com or visit my facebook page
 
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment